Pabna District Information
Pabna District is in north-western Bangladesh. It is the southern district of Bangladesh within the Rajshahi Division. Pabna district was established in 1832. It consists of 9 upazilas, 8 municipalities, 81 wards, 191 mahallas, 72 union parishads, 1321 mouzas and 1540 villages. Pabna district has the oldest mental hospital of Bangladesh in Hemaytpur. The upazilas are
• Atgharia Upazila
• Bera Upazila
• Bhangura Upazila
• Chatmohar Upazila
• Faridpur Upazila (Formerly Bonwareenogor)
• Ishwardi Upazila
• Pabna Sadar Upazila
• Santhia Upazila
• Sujanagar Upazila
Area: 2371.50 sq km
Religion: Muslims, 9.50% Hindu, 0.22% Christian and others 0.16%.
Boundary: Sirajganj District is on the north-east, while the Padma River, main stream of the holy river Ganges, in the south separates it from Rajbari District and Kushtia District. The Jamuna River runs along its eastern border separating it from Manikgonj District; and on the north-west it has a common boundary with the Natore District.
Weather: Average maximum temperature is 33.9°C, minimum 9.6°C. Annual rainfall is 1872 mm.
Main rivers: Padma River, Ichamati, Gumani, Baral, Atrai, Chiknai, Kazipur , Karatoya and Hurasagar.
Main occupations: Agriculture 34%, agricultural labourer 22.77%, commerce 13.27% etc.
Main Crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, sugarcane, oil seeds, onion, garlic, betel leaf (paan), pulses.
Main Fruits: Mango, jackfruit, banana, lychee (lichu), cocoanut, guava, pomelo and papaya.
Main exports: Rice, jute, betel leaf, hosiery goods, cotton, cotton fabrics.
Transportation: There are roads, waterways, railways and one airport in Pabna.
Hardinge Bridge and Lalon Shah Bridge over the Padma linked Pabna with Khulna Division and the southern Bangladesh. It was a major stoppage for trains from Kolkata to Assam and Darjeeling before the partition. Pabna is connected to Dhaka by the age old roadway through the Jamuna River crossing through the Aricha at Manikgonj District. Now it is easily connected with Dhaka by modern roads through Jamuna Bridge.
Ishwardi of Pabna is one of the important railway junctions of the North Bengal of Bangladesh.
There is an airport at Ishwardi Upazila of pabna. It has twice weekly air services to Shahjalal International Airport, Dhaka by Biman Bangladesh Airlines.
Places of interest:
• Paksey, divisional headquarters of Bangladesh Railway has a green area with many old trees and is beside the river Padma and the Hardinge Bridge. I is a wonderful place to see.
• Poddar Par (the bank of the Padma) at Shilaaidoho Ghaat is a nice place where people can enjoy a river cruise.
• The largest beel of Bangladesh, Chalan Beel is in the north of Pabna.
• Export processing zone (EPZ)
• The Lalon Shah Bridge
• Three domed Mosque at Bharara (1176 AH)
• Three domed Kazipara Mosque (Bhangura)
• Chatmohar Shahi Mosque (989 AH)
• Pathanpara Khandokarni Mosque (built by the Afghans, Chatmohar)
• Samaj Shahi Mosque (958 AH)
• Three domed Jami Mosque at Juktitala (Ishwardi)
• Jor Bangla Mandir (eighteenth century, Pabna)
• Jagannath Mandir, Seth Kuthi (1779)
• Snana Mandir (Chatmohar)
• Pabna District Judge Court Building (1884)
Major educational Institutions: Pabna Medical College(2008,Pabna University of Science and Technology (2008), Pabna Textile Engineering College (2008), Pabna Edward College (founded 1898),Govt.Shahid bulbul College, Pabna Zilla School (1853), Pabna Cadet College are the notable institutes of Pabna.